* read about the kids who took part in early school integration efforts in Little Rock, Arkansas, and New Orleans.
* read recent reflections by two of those former students.
* role-play an interview with Melba Pattillo, one of nine students who integrated Little Rock High School.
* read background and look at photos about the integration efforts in Little Rock.
* put themselves in the shoes of those kids who were pioneers in school integration and write a diary entry one of them might have written after the first week in her new school.