After completing the lessons in this unit, students will be able to:
* Tell what a symbol is and give examples of a symbol, such as the American flag.
* Give examples of other countries and their flags.
* Understand the relationship of city to state to country.
* Explain how symbols relate to objects and actions, how one thing can stand for another.
* Talk about the design of the American flag, i.e., what the colors mean, and that the 13 stripes represent the original 13 colonies.
* Discuss the legend of Betsy Ross (1752-1836).
* Learn about Flag Day (June 14).