* discover that some historians question the story of Betsy Ross’s involvement in the creation of the first U.S. flag.
* learn why historians question the story.
* list reasons the story of Betsy Ross might not be true.
* note the counterpoints offered by those who say Betsy Ross did play a key role in the creation of the U.S. flag.
* use The Betsy Ross Story: Truth or Legend? work sheet to document some of those points and counterpoints.
* synthesize and evaluate what they learn by responding to the question “Is the story of Betsy Ross’s grandson William Canby true?”